By Karen Armstrong
"An admirable and ambitious paintings of synthesis that might supply perception and delight to millions of lay readers."
THE WASHINGTON submit ebook WORLD
In this stunningly clever booklet, Karen Armstrong, one in every of Britain's most suitable commentators on non secular affairs, strains the historical past of ways women and men have perceived and skilled God, from the time of Abraham to the current. From classical philsophy and medieval mysticism to the Reformation, the Enlightenment, and the fashionable age of skepticism, Karen Armstrong plays the close to miracle of distilling the highbrow heritage of monotheism into one beautifully readable quantity, destined to take its position as a classic.
Read or Download A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam PDF
Best comparative religion books
This publication takes factor with those that might search to put regulations at the participation of non secular corporations in politics, arguing that their place underestimates the advantages, and overestimates the prices, of getting religiously influenced electorate perform this fashion. it is going to entice readers in philosophy and politics.
Syncretism - the synthesis of other non secular - is a contentious be aware. a few regard it as a pejorative time period, bearing on neighborhood models of notionally average `world religions' that are deemed `inauthentic' simply because saturated with indigenous content material. Syncretic models of Christianity don't agree to `official' (read `European') types.
This quantity provides Theodore Abu Qurrah’s apologetic Christian theology in discussion with Islam. It explores the query of even if, in his try to exhibit orthodoxy in Arabic to the Muslim reader, Abu Qurrah diverged from creedal, doctrinal Christian theology and compromised its middle content material. A entire research of the theology of Abu Qurrah and its relation to Islamic and pre-Islamic orthodox Melkite idea has now not but been pursued in glossy scholarship.
This publication proposes a entire thought of the lack of faith in human societies, with a particular and noticeable concentrate on the modern usa. Kevin McCaffree attracts on various disciplines together with sociology, psychology, anthropology, and heritage to discover issues comparable to the starting place of faith, the position of faith in fresh American historical past, the lack of faith, and the way americans are facing this loss.
- The New Sciences of Religion: Exploring Spirituality from the Outside In and Bottom Up
- African Indigenous Religions and Disease Causation
- Acts of Faith: Explaining the Human Side of Religion
- The Perfections leading to Enlightenment
Additional resources for A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam
3. Suffering inflicted by vengeful enemies, made in the past, will be avoided and the merit derived from printing sutras will allow these enemies to receive the benefits of Dharma, and thereby untie the bond of hatred. 4. Evil ghosts and other yaksha-ghosts cannot encroach on you; poisonous snakes or man-eating beasts cannot harm you. 5. You will have a peace of mind. During the day you will meet with no danger, and at night you will have no bad dreams. Your complexion will be healthy, smooth and moist.
10. You will be able to plant innumerable roots of goodness in the blessed minds of all living beings. You will help the living beings to reap bounteous, measureless merits and help them attain the final Buddhahood.
2. Auspicious spirits constantly protect you and you do not have to experience the disasters of plagues, floods, fires, thieves, armed conflict, or imprisonment. 3. Suffering inflicted by vengeful enemies, made in the past, will be avoided and the merit derived from printing sutras will allow these enemies to receive the benefits of Dharma, and thereby untie the bond of hatred. 4. Evil ghosts and other yaksha-ghosts cannot encroach on you; poisonous snakes or man-eating beasts cannot harm you. 5.