By Cloves Carneiro Jr
Beginning Rails is the sensible start line for somebody eager to easy methods to construct dynamic internet functions utilizing the Rails framework for Ruby. You’ll find out how all the parts of Rails healthy jointly and the way you could leverage them to create refined internet functions with much less code and extra joy.
This ebook is very compatible to these with very little event with internet software improvement, or who've a few adventure yet are new to Rails. starting Rails assumes simple familiarity with internet phrases and applied sciences, yet does not require you to be an expert.
- A light creation to the Ruby programming language
- Installing Ruby and Rails on a Mac, Linux, or home windows procedure
- The philosophy in the back of Rails and why it concerns
- The Model-View-Controller structure
- The fundamentals of relational databases and SQL
- Setting up a MySQL database and making a schema with migrations
- Experimenting together with your reside program within the Rails console
- Creating wealthy relationships among your versions
- Using controllers and templates effectively
- Leveraging helpers to maintain your templates fresh and common sense loose
- Adding Ajax and visible results to counterpoint your consumer interfaces
- How to ship and obtain mail out of your program
- Using and developing your individual plug-ins
- Ensuring your code opposed to Murphy’s legislation via writing checks
- Using Capistrano to install your software
Rather than delving into the arcane info of Rails, the point of interest is at the features of the framework that might turn into your choose, shovel, and awl. half heritage lesson, half advent to object-oriented programming, and half dissertation on open resource software program, Beginning Rails doesn’t simply clarify tips to do whatever in Rails, it explains why.
Every programmer fondly recollects the ebook that helped them start. The target of Beginning Rails is to turn into that ebook for you, today.
Table of Contents
- Introducing the Rails Framework
- Getting begun
- Getting whatever operating
- Working with a Database: lively checklist
- Advanced energetic list: improving Your versions
- Action Pack:Working with the View and the Controller
- Improving interplay with Ajax
- Sending and Receiving Mail
- Testing Your software
- Extending Rails with Plugins
- Deploying Your Rails functions
Read or Download Beginning Rails: From Novice to Professional PDF
Best database storage & design books
The strategic value of knowledge platforms is now broadly accredited, and over the past 3 a long time those structures have bought massive funding. platforms have developed from dossier platforms, via database structures, to the emergence of administration details platforms (MIS) and - extra lately - government info platforms (EIS).
With the discharge of SQL Server 2005, Microsoft is introducing a brand new multi-exam certification software. The Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Implementation and upkeep examination (70-431) is the 1st cease for everybody coming into this new certification music, and serves as either a unmarried examination certification in addition to the access examination for the MCITP-level certifications.
DB2 Developer's advisor is the field's number one go-to resource for on-the-job info on programming and administering DB2 on IBM z/OS mainframes. Now, three-time IBM details Champion Craig S. Mullins has completely up to date this vintage for DB2 v9 and v10. Mullins absolutely covers new DB2 strategies together with temporal database aid; hashing; common tablespaces; pureXML; functionality, defense and governance advancements; new facts varieties, and masses extra.
Grasp the strong instruments and contours of Tableau 9Deliver significant BI visualizations and real-time dashboards to clients throughout your organization―quickly and simply. Written via an skilled writer and authorized coach, Tableau nine: The professional consultant bargains step by step guideline, top practices, examples, and downloadable video tutorials.
Additional resources for Beginning Rails: From Novice to Professional
With all this information under your belt, it’s safe to say you’re ready to get up and running with Rails. The next chapter will walk you through Rails installation, so you can try it for yourself and see what all the fuss is about. You’ll be up and running with Rails in no time. qxd 6/30/07 8:51 AM CHAPTER Page 17 2 Getting Started F or various reasons, Rails has gained an undeserved reputation of being difficult to install. We want to dispel this myth. The truth is that installing Rails is relatively easy and straightforward, provided you have all the right ingredients.
4. Compile the source files (make). 5. Install the software (install). Start by installing Readline, a prerequisite for Ruby on OS X systems. Make sure you’re in the /usr/local/src directory, and type each of the following commands on its own line, pressing Enter after each one. The Terminal will respond to each command by spitting out a bunch of text on the screen, but when it’s all over, you’ll be back at the prompt and ready to enter the next command. Ready? Let’s go! /configure --prefix=/usr/local make sudo make install popd The popd on the last line takes you back up a directory, so that you’re in /usr/local/ src again, ready to tackle the next package.
As much as we’ve touted the benefits of Rails, it’s important that you realize that there are no silver bullets in software design. No matter how good Rails gets, it will never be all things to all people, and it will never solve all problems. Most important, Rails will never replace the role of the developer. Its purpose is merely to assist developers in getting their job done. Impressive as it is, Rails is merely a tool, which when used well can yield amazing results. It is our hope that as you continue to read this book and learn how to use Rails, you’ll be able to leverage its strength to deliver creative and high-quality web-based software.